Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Down the 'Song' lane

Yesterday evening when I wanted to tune into some relaxing melodies but not from any recent albums, I switched on to Sonu Nigam's 'Deewana'. Flash! I was at the roof top of my hostel, at my college. A group of girls basking in sun, the atmosphere cooled by the mountain winds of Northern India, busy solving tutorials and of course teasing, gossiping, enjoying - life at its best. That album does that to me every time. I remember my friend used to play it quite so often when we were perched on that roof top.

Come to think of it, there are so many such songs....

'Mujhe rang de, muje rang de'...the first time I danced solo in a midnight birthday celebration at our hostel and how my senior mams screamed and shouted!

'Raghupati raghav raja Ram'.....the bhajan I sang as a bride who just arrived at her in laws place.

'Pairon mein bandhan hai'....our engineering girl batch's group performance at the college annual function.

'Dil tou pagal hai, Dil deewana hai'...played hundreds of time on our first cassette player at home. I think we siblings were nearing high school completion and that was the only cassette in our collection due to lack of funds for some time.

How a life long of memories can come alive with few songs? Just recently one of my friend had written in her blog that a perfume's smell reminds her of an instance in her life. Songs do that for me.  A remembrance of past, of lost friendships, some joys, all keep sakes of a life time . They take me back to those memory lanes and infuse freshness into my present.

And this song that my friend sang at a college function literally does take me back to some memory lanes....She has a heavenly voice and I recall how she started singing that hot summer day and there was such a silence in the background, as everybody just resigned their senses to the pitches of her voice...

Yahi vo jagah hai, yahi vo fizayein, yahin per kabhi aap humsey miley the...'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZjndWtoVQ0)

No comments:

Post a Comment