Monday, June 25, 2012

The first day of 'cool'


Dear Sunshine,

Your first day of school (or 'cool' as you often call it) was on us. I had accompanied and stayed with you at school twice before to make you comfortable in the new surroundings. You seemed to like the teachers and took things quite nicely on those two days. Kids cried all around but you stayed calm. But today was going to be the first day when you would actually spend time there without me for a complete one hour!

I was confident you would do well. Your grandma and I left you in the arms of the teacher and waited outside. That was the difficult part. A lot of anxious parents who had left their kids for the first time had gathered there. There was non-stop heart-wrenching crying noise coming from inside the classroom. There was an equally loud noise outside where the worried parents described their concern. I told your grandma that you would do fine. After all its just one hour and it would pass off quickly.

As I stood outside, I tried to make out your crying voice from rest of the kids. It was impossible. I convinced myself that it must be because you are not crying at all. Somehow an hour passed by and the teacher announced that she would now bring out the kids one by one. But I was not ready for what happened next. You were the first one out and crying at the top of your voice. Actually you were in middle of a big scary crying tantrum. What that means is that you just don't listen to a word being spoken to, you are not ready to be held, and you just tap your feet on the ground and go crazy. 

I had seen you before like that but the other parents were so concerned. They offloaded many advices and I just tried to make my way to you, so that you can calm down. But you were unstoppable. You continued crying for the next 15-20 minutes. It was difficult to hold you, talk to you and comfort you. Then grandma came to our rescue and took you to a shop. Bribe - the ultimate savior that is! As you got your hands on a packet of 'Cadbury Gems', you slowly came back to being normal. You whispered that you have been a bad girl and that you cried at school. Between hugs and kisses, we tried to comfort you that everything is alright and it doesn't matter. But in my mind, I was already worried about what will happen tomorrow. Will you repeat all this again?

For the rest of the day we ignored this mishap. But you seemed to remember it very well and repeated that you've cried at school. We decided to skip school for a day to give you some more time. A day after that we took you to school again. Your teacher mentioned the most unexpected thing. She said that you were the only one kid who had not cried on the first day of school!. It was only towards the very end of that hour that you were probably overwhelmed with all the cries around you and joined the group. The teaches were looking for you yesterday to meet the girl who had not cried! What I felt after hearing those words is not easy to describe. I was just very thankful and proud.

So it was that cool, your first day of school!

Love,
Mom

3 comments:

  1. Splendid! What can be more challenging and also comforting than leaving your child at the school for the first time! Challenging coz we mommies end up wondering what they have been upto and comforting to know that they did well. Riya ab badi ho gayi hai mummy :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Good one, I enjoied reading it. Finally you got an intelligent one with you :D

    ReplyDelete